Wednesday, 2 March 2016

This Precious Life





Hi Everyone,

not sure where to start with this post feel I need to write something this week but feeling a little out of sorts. Last Wednesday when I was inside writing my last blog post  my little hen Henrietta took her last breath and was waiting for me by the door. It sounds stupid but I started clapping my hands willing her to open her eyes but sadly she didn't wake up. I rushed up to the house to get a blanket and wrapped her in it and held her in my arms as my tears fell onto her. She seemed fine when I left her to come inside. I spent all my time with them that first week and checked them before coming inside I was an hour later  away from them than I had been and I kept thinking if I hadn't been inside writing my blog she would still be here I might have seen she was struggling. But I know deep in my heart that the stress of the ex battery life and the change to her short life was to much for her and my friend who has kept chickens for over 40 years said she didn't think she would make it as she was so featherless and white. My sweet little girl died not in a tiny cage or without having a name, or un loved. She passed away having known freedom for 3 days she knew she was loved and had a name and she had tears shed over her I take comfort in that knowing I gave her a chance to experience freedom.

 
Rest in Peace my sweet girl
 
 
Wednesday also saw Petunia our bully hen go to live with my friend and she has settled straight into her new life .Peace has now been restored and my little pack of 4 hens is doing well. 
 
 
 
Marigold eating  some bedtime corn from the red tray, Poppy in the background and my 2 little featherless girls Bluebell and Rosy.
 
Since my friend lent me a heat lamp for the run they are now thriving and I feel less anxious about them. Rosie now has a much redder comb as do they all and they love to spread their wings ( Something they would have never been able to do before ) underneath it and crane their necks its very a cold and windy spot where we live so it really has helped to save to their lives. And we have a lovely routine  especially at bedtime when the lamp goes off and then they allow me to pick them up give them a cuddle, talk nonsense and put them into their house ready for bed.
 
 
My Little Rosie warming up.
 
Yesterday I heard such sad news that my best friend from school Jeanette had passed way suddenly no illness she was taken unwell at home rushed to hospital by air ambulance and very sadly she slipped away. She leaves 3 sons and a family and huge group of friends that loved her dearly. She was a beautiful lady a special sweet soul and she will be missed by everyone that new her.
 
 
Life is so precious
And each day a gift
So enjoy every minute
As if it were your last to live

Cherish your loved ones
Hug them tight
Share with them your heart
And your time
 
Nothing is forever
And life goes so fast
Each minute that passes
Is one you can’t get back
 
Every morning when you wake,
Decide right from the start,
That “Today will be a good day”
And let it all in with an open heart
 
 
Life is indeed a precious gift that we should treasure live your dreams and cherish your loved ones squeeze them tight today and remember to tell them you love them.
 
Until next time
Hugs dee xx


17 comments:

  1. oh Dee, i burst into tears at reading that poor little Henrietta had passed away :(, so silly to be upset over a chicken i had never met, but i was so hoping she would have a longer happy (she was happy at least) life with you
    I'm sorry for both your losses xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Death and life go hand in hand, sorrow and joy, you have to experience the sorrow to fully embrace the joy. Your little flock is all set to thrive under your loving care. Focus on their lives, panning out in front of them, full of TLC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tear in my eyes, how sad for you, I am sure the others will pick up, you are doing all you can, sorry about your friend, shocking news for you. You are so right, life is so precious, take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry about Jeanette, what sad news and so young, too.
    Good to hear that your girls are thriving. They look so sweet and content. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Dee, what a sad post. So sorry to hear about the sudden loss of your friend. As for your little Henrietta, be glad that her last few days were happy and free and focus on your other girls now ... they are so lucky to have come to you. M x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about your friend whether its sudden or expected it is still a shock.Also you have to know that you have given your little ladies a much better life that they have known before good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry for your losses Dee. What else could I say that would help?. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love and Hugs I send you Dee
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a shock to lose a friend, life is so short so we should certainly life it to the full. You have given those hens a new lease of life, which is so wonderful. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry Dee to hear of your sad news but I am so deeply pleased you managed to give Henrietta freedom & an identity & that my dear is a very commendable thing to do. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. How very sad. Life can seem so cruel sometimes, but there is always joy to be found too. Hopefully the other lovely girls will bring joy back to your heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Dee, I'm so sorry to hear your sad news. Life is indeed very precious and we must live each day as though it is our last.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear your news, both the chicken and your friends untimely sudden death.

    Henrietta came to you for a reason, so that in her final days she would feel fresh air, feel warm human arms cuddling her gently, hear words said in kindness and for her to experience real chicken life. That it was so brief is sad, but that it happened for her at all is down to you. You gave her just what she needed, when she needed it .... there is a real beauty in that.

    Now with this experience under your belt you will be even more able to help your four new friends, just look at Little Rosie basking under that heat lamp ... you knew what they wanted and you supplied it.

    Well done. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Dee, how sad. Yes, life is precious, it's good to be reminded of that from time to time. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh what a tough week you have had, poor you. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Dee I am so sorry for your losses. I really do feel for you. As you say life is indeed very precious. Thank you so much for your beautiful comment about my sweet Bertie...you are so very kind. A huge hug is winging it's way to you. Debbie xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness such a lot of loss. I feel for you with your sweet girl, but she had the most loved ending of her life, cared for, running free and loved. And I am so sorry about your friend, what a tragic loss.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete