Monday, 25 January 2016

Dining room/ Day room/ cottage/retro make over




Hi Everyone,

I seemed to have lost a week somewhere along the lines. We had some beautiful cold, frosty and sunshiny days here at Hazelmere last week it was a gorgeous week and saw me busy pottering around outside doing jobs. Lots has been happening and we finely have our farm gate up no more tatty orange fencing and I bet the postman will be glad to, he wont have to climb over it to deliver the post :-) I will share outside next week as this week I wanted to share our nearly finished dining room/ day room.  Its hard to know what to call this space when we first saw it we thought of it has the back room now I think of it as the dining room and also the day room as its where I sit in the afternoons.

Anyway here goes I will start with the before photo's first

 



This is part of the back room when we first saw it back in February last year. A very dated carpet, and cream wallpaper walls. It had the original late 50s fireplace  and log burner in pace but sadly it wasn't working. So we decided to take this out and knock back to the original hole that used to house Dillis rayburn that she used to cook on and heat up the house. ( As the passage on the back is a later addition to the house )



As you can see the lovely space was still there behind the fireplace. We took up the carpet and stripped the wallpaper off the walls. The girls are just waiting for some warmth from that hole :-)



Sorry this photo is a bit hazy but you can just see the kitchen and the pantry in this photo. We stripped the floors back to the wooden floor boards to.

And this is how it looks today



A lot more colourful and warm


Kia our old girl is constantly in front of the log burner its so cosy and warm and another dream now ticked off my wish list :-) On the main chimney wall as you can see we hung some vintage 1970's wallpaper as the main focus to the room. In time we would like to add a piece of wood to the fireplace to act as a mantle shelf as we feel it would look so much better with one.  I rescued the wicker basket from the coal shed as our landlord was going to burn it now keeps our logs in. We painted the rest of the walls a nice sunshine buttercup yellow.


Its a gorgeous mix or oranges, pinks and yellows and we love it :-)


Just one of my vintage larders in this room  ( re furbished by my husband ) along with our 50's vintage formica kitchen table and chairs. I have had this table a very long time it came from one of our little road trips and was locked up in a gorgeous house that was a time warp.



I bought the little 60's wooden bookcase a couple of weekends ago as I did have one of my 50's kitchen units here but it looked to heavy so we went on a hunt on a Saturday and hey presto it was just what I had in my mind :-)


Above sits my little collection of vintage kitsch animal figures which range from the 50's and 60's and below photo's of my Dear boy Midi and Ted who are sadly no longer with us. My hubby hung some of the 70's wallpaper behind to carry the colours across.



Its not the best of light today to take photo's but I hung some gorgeous 50's curtains at the window along with a blind.


We stripped off the old paint on the window sill back to the wood and varnished it clear, it now houses a few of my 50's hankie glass vases and starburst 50's candle holders.


My 60's sofa that used to be in my summer house in our old house now sits opposite the log burner and houses some of my handmade cushions made from vintage fabrics and my crochet circle cushion I made just before Christmas.


During the Christmas break with no internet or phone connection I decided to start making another hexagon quilt to go on the back of the sofa in the dining room/ day room to inject a bit of colour on that side. I am sewing this all by hand but will machine it at the end when I need to add the wadding and back etc I love sewing by hand I find it much more relaxing than by machine. I am using a mixture of Vintage and a couple of modern fabrics to.




I love the colours and think it will work well with the wallpaper and the other colours already in the room. So this is my little project at the moment and hopefully wont take me to long.


This was hazelmere last week on one of our gorgeous sunny and frosty days you can just see one my hounds shadows. I have some exciting news to share next week regarding some chickens who will be coming to live with us :-)

Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to leave a message on my last post it means a lot to hear from you and to everyone that also just dropped by to read.

Have a lovely week everyone

Until next time by for now

Dee xx

29 comments:

  1. Another wonderful transformation! The papered chimney breast looks lovely. You must feel very proud of all your hard work. M x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im positively drooling over your transformation pictures. Wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That old fire hearth and surround is virtually identical to the one in our lounge, and what you've done to open it up and install that lovely woodburner is exactly what we'd like to do here. Sadly, we won't be though...ours is also a rented house and we don't want to spend out £100s on a house that we don't own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for your comment. Luckily for us our landlord is my husbands very close friend he paid to have the log burner installed he asked us what we wanted and then got someone in to install it so we have been lucky there with that.

      Delete
  4. It is coming along very nicely indeed, your glass and china look perfectly at home in their new setting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing transformation, your hard work is certainly paying off you have a beautiful home. The fabric you are using for the hexagons is a real delight, and will look stunning on the sofa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cottage is looking incredible Dee, you have done an amazing job.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. The room is looking very sunshiny (if that's a word), now that it is finally finished. But, knowing you, it will never be finished because all the ornaments, cushions and bits and pieces can be added to or swapped around to keep it fresh and inviting. I think the words 'day room' are a good name for a room that is used everyday for lots of different things - eating, sleeping dogs, lounging on the sofa and busying about going from kitchen to pantry. What an exciting room.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your larder and formica table and chairs - fab ! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What wonderfu work you have been doing. I have been checking regularly to see what you are up to so very pleased about the update.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!!! well done so much hard effort has gone into that, I spy beautiful floors. And I am in love with your 50's larder. am a little green with envy on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks wonderful, such a lovely transformation, so bright and cheery x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty ... and I think that picture of the girl in the red dress was once on a wall in one of the Coronation Street homes, perhaps the Duckworths or the Ogdens ... I'm going back a long time, but I do recall it from those days in the 1970s/80s. But a very pretty, colourful room.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes a 70's print called Red Skirt and she may well have been in the Duckworths house :-) thank you for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  13. I really love the changes you have made and pleased to read that your landlord paid to have the wood burner installed. The value you and your husband have added to this cottage must be very significant. I hope that you enjoy your time living in this wonderful cottage. You are both very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have been busy and it looks lovely, so good the see 70's designs we were not afraid of colour back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) Yes I love clashing the colours and patterns of the 60's and 70's because I feel it really works well :-)

      Delete
  15. Gorgeous room. I am in love with so many items, the wallpaper is particularly fetching.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed your post very much, you have a lovely home!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fabulous Delia, love the wood burner xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow your house is gorgeous
    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. An impressive amount of work, I enjoy reading about your updates x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your cottage is looking wonderful and so warm and cosy...what a lot you have achieved!
    Thank you too for your kind comments recently x
    Happy weekend.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  21. the room is super. we had paper very similar the yours on one wall in 1976. you seem to be having fun doing up the cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a warm and inviting room. I love the changes you've made.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. There are so many lovely things in your room which remind me of my 1950/60's childhood. So, this is the hexagon quilt which you told me about - wow! Those colours are mellow and work so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So pleased to have found your blog.what an inspiration you are.what fabulous home and homemade creation.wishing you love and all the very best in your life venture. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, thank you its nice to have you here. x

      Delete