Monday, 3 August 2015

Vintage biking allotment cucumber

Hi Everyone,

Monday morning again the weeks seem to be whizzing by cant believe we are into August already. Well over the past few days i have been making some decisions about my allotment and decided i would start building and digging it again i love the space there and its an area where i can access myself unlike my vegetable patch as its to far for me to walk being in the middle of no where on top of a hill in the English countryside. ( I don't drive ) And while we are still waiting on news about the rental of the cottage where my vegetable patch is i felt i needed the project to take my mind away from the cottage.

So for the past 4 days i have been designing the allotment and working away there. I mentioned to my husband that if i had a bike i could wiz down there in 5mins instead  of the 20 mins it takes to walk which eats up my time with leaving my girls Milly and Kia i tend to leave them no longer than 2 hours Milly hates being left and i have had to build it up but 2 hours i think is long enough.

So on Friday i found a gorgeous vintage Capitol ladies bike and on Saturday we drove to pick her up i am not sure of her true age i need to do a bit of investigation my father seems to think she is from the 1950's. But she has a lovely basket on the front which i can put my apron and other bits and pieces i need and i love her :-)


I cant wait to use her :-)
 
 
My allotment started off as a long stretch of ground it measures 90 foot by 15 and to be honest i thought what on earth am going to do with this its sooooo long.
 
 
But i started digging from the sleeper end and set myself little targets each day
 
 
Digging, weeding and turning the soil as i went
 
I decided to just do half off the plot for the time being as there was more than enough land there i wanted to use.
 
 
My lovely husband then built me some box frames i decided that i wanted these different from my vegetable patch as the shape of the plot was different and unlike my vegetable patch having separate sections for the vegetables with my allotment i wanted to mix up the beds with not only vegetables but flowers and herbs to.
 
 
I bought a black iron arch in the sale for £5 and put it at the front to create an entrance to the plot and also to give it some depth
 

I bought 4 lavender plants and 2 clematis plants to grow either side of the arch  
 
 
 
Hopefully once they have established this time next year the smell will be wonderful and i can also pick and dry the lavender to.
 
 
Yesterday i started laying some bark onto the paths around my plot i used cardboard boxes on top of the soil as its free and also will break down over time into the soil i then laid the bark on top this will hopefully stop the weeds. This photo shows the middle section of my arch and entrance.
 
 
Yesterday my husband started building me a cheap and cheerful wire fence to section me off from my plot neighbour it also contains my plot a bit more.
 
 
As i have left it late i haven't been able to sow vegetables down here so i bought some Cauliflower and cabbage plants and also some sprouting broccoli and some peas to.
 
 
I did bring some of my lettuces down from my vegetable patch as these need thinning so hopefully these will take ok.
 
 
I also took some of my carrots from my vegetable patch as they to needed thinning out fingers crossed these will settle in to.
 
 
Its all looking a bit sad at present but i also bought 2 of my brussel sprout plants down from my vegetable patch and yesterday they didn't look very happy its so hot at the allotment my plot is in full sunshine. But the bark is down through the middle paths and the plants are in so fingers crossed over the next few weeks  it will settle down and i will have a little crop of vegetables.
 
I have planted at my allotment Cabbages, leeks, carrots, Broccoli, Cauliflowers, Brussel sprouts, peas and lettuces.
 
And last night at my little vegetable patch i spotted 5 mini cucumber plants i am so happy i planted these from seed so i am excited to see them on 3 of the plants.
 
 
 
And that's it from me this week hopefully next week there will be some vegetables growing my courgettes are looking very healthy and fingers crossed there will be some veg on there soon.
 
 
I am taking my lovely bike out for its first adventure today down to visit my allotment haven't ridden a bike for years so wish me luck :-)
 
Bye for now
 
Dee xx


12 comments:

  1. Gosh, what a transformation from patch of weedy earth to very neat veg patch! Good luck on your lovely bike! M x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bike. Happy wandering.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab bike I'm not surprised you love her! You could always plant flowers on the other half of the plot to use the space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've made an incredible amount of progress, Dee - and it's all so neat!
    Good luck riding the bike - they say you never forget how! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please may I borrow your green fingers........?
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How hard are you working? The transformation is brilliant and I love your bike. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you have been working hard. It's a great idea to use the space there while you wait for news about the cottage. I hope everything grows well for you. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dee, its so nice to meet you. Thanks so much for visiting me. I'm hoping to explore some new blogs and meet some new friends now that I'm back in this Bloggy world! Looks like you've put a lot of hard work into your veggie patch, hope it all works out for you and the allotment and have fun keeping up with those weeds... Love your Bike... it'll be fun to ride. I also Love your Vintage van, Just Love it! Swap you a sheep for it!!
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that you and your hubby are amazing to have achieved all that you've achieved in your two gardening spaces. You must be very proud as I would be!
    I hope your garden grows beautifully for you.
    Your bike is lovely! Good luck with the first ride. Bless you x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your allotment looks great. You have certainly put a lot of work into it and it shows. The arch was good idea. Hope you enjoy your fantastic bike. Thanks for sharing and have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Dee! Thank you for your kind comments on my blog. I'm so glad you discovered me. Your blog is also lovely and it looks like we have a lot in common :) I shall have a proper peek a bit later, I'm just cooking our tea at the mo! Fiona x

    ReplyDelete